Saturday, June 29, 2013

Hair Update: More Purple!


Hello lovelies! This post will be a diy and review all in one! I'll tell you how I got purple
in my hair while saving money at the same time. I'm all about experimenting with hair, and I see hair
as a way to express yourself.  I think hair is something that you should venture out with and try new
 colors, cuts, and styles. Last time I got my blonde touched up, I asked my stylist to add a purple 
streak in the bottom layer of my hair. I absolutely loved it, but unfortunately, it faded so quickly. 

Everyone knows that going to the hairdresser's can be a bit pricey, which is a down side to 
hair experimentation. I know a lot of people dye their hair fun colors on their own, so I thought, 
I'll just try it out and see how it goes.


Part One: The Dye

Choosing the correct dye can be the most frustrating part of the process.
After reading online and watching many videos on YouTube, I was afraid that
my hair would be in horrible condition if I chose the wrong dye.

I decided to use a semi permanent dye because I figured that it would be the least
damaging product I could use. I bought the Ion Color Brilliance Brights in Purple 
(link here) at my local Sally's Beauty Supply without a license. The dye was a thicker paste, 
which I found very easy to apply. I was so glad that the product was not runny, and I ended
 up absolutely loving the dye. The box says to leave the dye on for 20 to 40 minutes
depending on how vibrant you want the color to be. The dye worked very well on my blonde hair. 
It gave my hair many dimensions and various shades of purple. The several shades are very eye 
catching! My little cousin loved the purple in my hair, and she asked my mum to dye her's. She has 
dark brown hair, so we were hesitant that the purple would not show well. It turned out a dark purple,
which I think is so lovely!  


Part Two: The Foils (diy)

Here I will give you step by step instructions on how to add the dye
using regular foil. It is a very easy process, but I tried to include many details
in case a first timer is trying this out!

1. Brush through all of your hair. Make sure that your hair is tangle free. 
2. Decide where you want your color to be. 
3. Clip back the hair you are not dying so that the section you will be dying is easily accessible.
4. Grab some foil, any kind is fine! I bought Reynolds Wrapper Pre Cut Pop-up Foil Sheets 
(link here) and just tore them in half, so 1 full foil sheet will equal out to 2 sections of hair.
5. Grab a pair of gloves and put them on. You will then empty some dye into a bowl and mix it 
using a hair dye brush. You can tint the dye lighter by using any conditioner.
6. Fold a small section of foil over a comb with a long tail (commonly known as a tease comb, they 
are really cheap at Sally's) and place under the section you want to dye.
7. Paint the dye straight on to the hair, beginning at a quarter of an inch from the scalp.
8. Lift the section of hair and be sure to paint the bottom side of the hair. 
9. Make sure to fully saturate the hair. If you do not apply the dye evenly, you could have
spotty hair in the end.
10. Remove the comb behind the foil and fold the foil upward and close the sides (like in the
photo above). 
11. Leave the dye on for 20-40 minutes.
12. Rinse the dye ONLY out of the section of hair that you dyed.  Do not leave any dye
 residue in your hair. Washing your whole head may lead to your regular hair catching some of the dye.
13. Add some kind of 'lock in' product to keep the dye in the hair. I used Ion Color Brilliance
 After Color Treatment (link here). Leave the treatment in for 4-5 minutes, then rinse out.


Overall, I highly recommend trying to dye your own hair. It's a very simple, easy
process that does not cost much at all! You will probably get several uses out of one tube
of dye. I have now dyed sections of my hair purple twice at home. The semi-permanent dye
lasted about a week and a half to two weeks the first time I tried this, which is not bad for a non-
natural hair color. 

I hope that some of you try this out, it's so fun and a great way to express yourself. What are
your thoughts on non-natural colors like lavender, pink, etc?

Au revoir,

10 comments:

  1. great post, love the color. and same here, i think dying your own hair is great and less expensive.

    xoxo
    http://1finedai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I totally agree, it's so much easier and cheaper as well! x

      Delete
  2. I love unnatural hair colours, yours looks so so pretty! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun pop of color! Looks great on you xx

    Jordan | Boho Vanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that looks so lovely with your hair curled!and purple is such an awesome colour to choose:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I would like to open beauty salon. Does anybody have an experience in this business? There are too many options in different salon equipment. Could anybody give me an advise? What store is more reliable to buy Magnifying lamp replacement bulb and Fluorescent magnifying lamp. I'm choosing between Advance-Esthetic and Spa&Equipment websites.

    ReplyDelete