Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hair Tutorial: Big, Voluminous Curls


Hello lovelies! With today's post, I will teach you how how to get big, voluminous curls. I absolutely
love big, beautiful curls. This is definitely my go-to hairstyle! It's fairly quick (under 45 minutes) and easy, so I hope you give it a try!


Step 1:  Spray your natural hair with a heat protectant (I'm using one by Vidal Sassoon) to make sure your hair doesn't become damaged! I also spray a dry shampoo (I'm using the Tresemmé one) in the roots of my hair because I think it helps with volume. (This style can be done on freshly washed hair or dirty hair, both work!)


Step 2: Section your hair vertically. By vertically, I mean in sections like above. I find this helps the curls lay nicer. I usually see people section their hair with the top and bottom. You can do this as well, I just prefer vertical sections with my hair.


Step 3: Begin curling your hair in 1 to 2 inch sections. Any type of curling iron or wand will work with this style, as long as it is 1 inch or smaller. I use one with a guide, and I absolutely love it! It really helps my hair stay in place. Curl each section for 5-10 seconds, depending on how well your hair curls. My hair curls very quickly, so I usually curl each section for a maximum of 6 seconds.


Step 4: Curl some pieces going towards your face and some going away from your face. This will ensure that you don't end up with all your curls forming one massive curl (so frustrating!!). 


Step 5: Use your favorite hairspray (I'm loving S Factor Vivacious Hairspray, smells like strawberries!) sparingly after you have finished a section. Using too much hairspray can make your curls crunchy and hard to brush through!


Step 6: Let your curls settle while you do your makeup or while you are drinking a cup of coffee/tea. I have found that my curls brush out easier when I've let them set for 15 minutes or so!


Step 7: Gently brush out your curls using a larger brush. I know this may be a scary thought, brushing out the curls you just spent time doing, but I promise it will turn out fine! Just be sure that you aren't tugging or pulling very hard on your curls. I like to use a paddle brush because it is gentle on my curls.


Step 8: Begin to backcomb your soft curls using a wide tooth comb, starting at the ends of your hair. The more gentle you are with this step, the better your hair will turn out.


Now you are finished! Pretty quick and easy right? (:

What are some of your go to hairstyles? 

Au revoir,

6 comments:

  1. These look really natural. I have super curly so I dont need to do this, but it looks so easy and qick =)

    Maria x

    craftyowl93.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (: x
      and oh how I wish I had naturally curly hair!

      Delete
  2. Your hair looks gorgeous! x

    ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete